Tuesday, December 9, 2008

LA: Day 12


We're starting to get into the holiday spirit here. The weather was oddly warm for awhile but it's cooling down quite a bit now and I feel the urge to burst forth in a decorating frenzy and eat hearty soups.

My parents have a large artificial tree, but I decided that it'd be easier for my dad if we went out and bought a small 3 ft tree to put up on a table...one last thing he'd have to keep Pig from assaulting. So my sister, Pig and I went out to several tree lots until we found the right size. I had this mental image of being thrown unceremoniously out from a tree lot once we stated our intention to purchase a knome-ish tree. I started picturing red faces of indignation as lot owners pointed to magnificent 7 foot douglas firs before storming off to shove a potted cactus at us. It's actually similar to the scene I picture ensuing in the kitchen of a fine dining establishment when my dad asks for tabasco sauce.

Luckily, the last lot we visited, had several little trees right out front. We picked the fullest one of the bunch, roughly the size of Pig standing, and placed it pretty much standing into the back of my parents' SUV. Easiest tree purchase ever, no twine necessary.

When we brought it back to the house, I realized the tree was way too small, my parents have cathedral ceiling in the back section of their great room and canopied by that, the tree would be likely to develop a major napoleonic complex. We decided to keep it once my sister pointed out that the table wouldn't be able to support a bigger tree laden with ornaments.

My dad went out to the garage to look for the ornaments and lights and came back with one small box and one shopping bag. Eh? Where are all of the ornaments we used to have as kids? He shrugged, "it was a mess and I threw them away." Sigh. Luckily what was in the box was enough to cover the knome tree but I'm thinking we might be going to an after Christmas sale this year to replenish the holiday stash.

No comments: