Friday, January 2, 2009

Week of a 1,000 Deaths: Part 1

We're back in MD. I am all about nonstop flights after this. The LAX to Atlanta leg of the trip went fairly well. Pig slept most of the way. Atlanta to BWI was hellacious, Pig squirmed, whined, yelled, cried, threw things, pooped, peed, kicked...thought that 1.5 hours would never end. Our flight had been delayed because of a sudden crew change so we didn't get into Maryland until after midnight and didn't get home until 1 am. We were all physically shattered, eager to fall into bed and then of course the inevitable happened.

I unlocked the door, carrying a drowsy Pig in my arms and then it hit me...the worst smell imaginable. 100 times worse when you're pregnant. My first thought. "No, that wouldn't be fair. K must've forgotten to take out the garbage." So with great effort, I ignored the smell and carried Pig upstairs to get her ready for bed. K walks in and then I hear "Oh shit!" Literally. He had gone downstairs and saw the stuff that nightmares are made of. Kirby or Anoki or both had gone all around the basement, spraying the contents of their bowels on the carpet, on the walls, on the stairs.

Meanwhile, the smell was actually worse upstairs so I was dry heaving so hard I was in danger of throwing out back. K took the dogs out and began cleaning the basement. I tried to breathe through my mouth so that I could soothe Pig to sleep. We didn't sleep until 3 am. Luckily, Pig slept until 11 am EST the following morning so we were able to recharge a little. K called the our carpet/upholstery cleaner who like the angel he is, came over later that day to sanitize the basement.

So I thought, the worst is over. Nope. I had to pick up my car in the morning and head over to my monthly ob/gyn appointment so I teleworked the next day, K was coming down with a bad case of the flu so he did the same.

No comments: