Friday, July 31, 2009

One good thing about my commute is that it gives me alot of time to think about things. Just found out that a mother of a person I know (sorry about being so cryptic, it's just that the family wants to keep it under wraps for now) was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent a lumpectomy. I felt terribly for this person, he's got a lot on his plate these days. And then I thought of my own mother and how much I miss being near her. Particularly as I raise my own children and recall the little pearls of wisdom my mom imparted as my sister and I were growing up.

I can't help but be envious of women who have their mothers nearby. Before marriage, being off on my own wasn't difficult; I'd always been a bit of a loner, kept mostly to myself growing up. I had no problem eating, going to the movies or traveling alone. Since marriage; however, I'm realizing more and more the importance of having a female support network and what better support network than your own mother and sister! It'd be wonderful to just call my mom or sister up and ask them to meet me for lunch or have a girls spa day or when things get too crazy to cook, rush over to my mom's to pick up some nice tidbits or damn just the ability to get sick and not worry about crawling out of bed to make meals or clean up the house because mom would rush over and help with those things without being asked. I love hanging out with my girlfriends but let's face it, they have their own busy lives and families, I can't call them to chat whenever or ask for help outside of a real emergency.

I talk to my parents and sister multiple times a day and we try to Skype whenever we can but I feel sad about every birthday of theirs that I had to miss and feel guilty that I couldn't throw a decent bridal shower for my sister and lonesome that they couldn't be with me on my 30th birthday.

Sigh.

Basically, I just miss the people I grew up with.

No comments: