Thursday, September 17, 2009

Been awhile

The barnyard has been a zoo. In my last long post I mentioned Pig's nap/bed-time crying. Well, our theory is that it's the result of separation anxiety coupled with a nasty cold/flu. By the time my parents arrived to help out I was about to cry myself. Pig was sick and spouting mucus profusely, Moo's nose had started running and I was starting to show symptoms. Pig was screaming 30 mins to an hour before finally falling asleep and Moo was taking forever to go down and then waking up twice, sometimes more, during the night to eat. When my parents pulled up to the house, dishes and laundry were piled up, clutter abounded and Moo and I stood in the doorway, wild-eyed and frowzy-haired.

Grazie mille to my parents. Could not have done it without them. It was awesome coming from work to find the house clean, kids fed and smiling, dishes including bottles washed, laundry washed and folded, the dog walked and fed, and praise the Lawd, hot dinner waiting for me on the table. All I had to do was put Pig down for the night.

But we all felt K's absence keenly. My mom called me one day at work worried about Pig. Apparently when she and my dad dropped the kids off at Mrs. V's, Pig stood at the door waving sadly and watching my parents pull out of the driveway. Now, Pig normally considers Mrs. V's house a second home and usually runs in with nary a glance back. So the sight of her sad little face in the doorway had my mom in tears. Luckily, Pig did well during the day, ate and slept normally. It was just that separation in the morning that was tough.

I got home that night and my dad asked if K was available to Skype. We tried to Skype as much as possible but since K was often out in the early evening, it didn't happen as much as we would've liked.

After about a week, things started to improve. Pig stopped screaming when I put her down for the night, she stood in her crib and watched me leave her room and when I closed the door, I could hear her lie down. Just as things started settling down, my mom came down with the flu and few days later my dad started sniffling. I wasn't 100 percent myself and Moo was still waking up during the night so at work I was a walking zombie.

K wasn't sure when he'd come home, he had to wait to get the greenlight from his home office. So my parents prepared to stay another week. Then on Friday, I tried calling K's cell and got his voicemail. Hmm, odd, I guess his phone went dead. I tried it again, still voicemail. I started getting worried and of course, my imagination started running wild. What if something had happened? There was no way for us to know. I checked online and saw that he was online and messaged him, not thinking he'd respond. But lo and behold, he replied, "what?" I asked him why he wasn't picking up his phone. "Because you can't use your cell phone on the plane." !!!!! My parents and I rejoiced.

K was going to surprise us and show up that night. Actually it was a good thing that I had caught him. He didn't land until 11 pm and didn't have a housekey on him and would've freaked out the entire house if he knocked at that hour.

No comments: