Saturday, October 3, 2009

Moo - The Little Eater

It's still early to tell but I think my dream has come true....my kids may both be good eaters. I know I shouldn't but I'm already daydreaming about what this might mean. Elaborate dinners, my children content and replete after having consumed large quantities of veg and fish and grains...fighting over the last mussel...happily digging into a bowl of kan-jang gae-jang or crab marinated in soy sauce (the dish I love so much I'd marry it if I could)...standing beside me as my sous chef in the kitchen as we plan dishes and reverently handle a beautiful roast....

Ok, sorry I digress.

Mr. Moo was introduced to the world of solid foods today. Of course it wasn't really solid, it was more like thickened milk but it was fed with a spoon and he took to it like crazy. I had expected that most of it would end up a little brown rice beard on his round little face but he seems to have his extrusion reflex under control. He was like a fat little baby bird, his little mouth wide open and taking in every spoonful I had to offer. We limited his first exposure to half a small bowl full. After a week of brown rice, we'll start pureed pears and then veg, can't wait.

We were thinking about starting the solids at 5 months but the kids caught colds and then both had the flu so I decided to hold off until the mucous slowed to a trickle. But then a few days ago I had Moo on my lap as I was trying to scarf my dinner, pasta tossed in bacon, onions, garlic and oregano. As I was eating I looked down and Moo's mouth was wide open and he reached out with one fat hand and grabbed my plate and started pulling at it. So today when we strapped him into the high chair and put the eating bib around his neck, he gave us a "it's about damned time, I've been ready for months" glare.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This pic is familiar looking...:-)