Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Parents

I was reading about Marian Robinson, the First Granny, and thinking alot about my parents. They came out and looked after the whole family when Pig was born and they're all set to do the same when Moo is born. I know I'll do the same for my children when they have kids but I'm still in awe of everything my parents did for us.

First they cleaned the house, from top to bottom. All of the laundry was done, folded and put away, in fact, we started running out of dresser and closet space. The kitchen and bathroom floors were swept all day long. My dad, horrified by the dog fur, vacuumed everyday. The refrigerator was fully stocked and my mom started cooking, soups, stews, teas, roasts... My dad worried about K being tired would take the dogs out and feed them before we woke up in the morning. While we were in the hospital, my dad completely took charge of the dogs, walking, feeding and brushing them everyday.

While we were in the hospital, my parents came by 3 times a day to deliver food. It's tradition for new mothers to eat miyuk gook, a seaweed soup, to help cleanse the blood. She also made vats of pumpkin juice to help bring down the swelling. My parents were convinced that K and I were malnourished so we were fed protein-rich dishes. I thought K was getting sick of the soup so I ordered my hospitals meals for him...turned out he preferred the soup to the hospital food after all. When we came home with Pig and K went back to work, my parents took charge of Pig while I was recovering from my surgery, I pumped or nursed but otherwise, my parents did everything else, bathing Pig, changing her, bottle feeding her when I was asleep all while cooking up a storm, cleaning the house and taking care of the dogs...not to mention keep me in good spirits while I battled with hormone-induced mood swings.

Thank you omma and appa, we couldn't have done it without you.

No comments: