Monday, June 15, 2009

Moo - 2 months

Mr. Moo had his 2 month well baby check up today and holy moley, he's weighing in at 12 lbs, 6 ounces and stretching out at 23 .5 inches long. Yep, filling out nicely. You should see his thighs...folds and folds. And he's got a butt folks! Not quite the ga-thunka-thunk that Pig has but he could probably rock a pair of teeny bicycle shorts. We love 'em chunky in this family. Moo is catching up to his big sister fast. At this point, Pig was a delightful 12 lbs, 10 ounces. Viva la leche de boob!

Poor kid also had 4 big needles stuck into his fat thighs. On the car ride home, with the dulcet sounds of Moo grumbling in the backseat, I started wondering what it's like to be my kids. Do they get frustrated because their bodies won't do as they will? I watched Moo trying to squirm away from the needle and thought sadly that he might be thinking, this sucks, I'm going to get up and leave...but instead could only rock back and forth like a turtle on its back. And Pig, she jabbers on and on everyday and I'm sure she is saying something unbelievably profound and hilarious but her stupid parents just stare back at her in confusion.

Parenthood is a strange thing. You find yourself both wishing time could speed up and slow down at the same time. So many times I've thought won't it be nice when the kids are able to [fill in the blank] e.g. sit up, feed themselves, stand in the tub, speak in a language I can understand, take out the garbage, carry me around in a sedan chair (ha, I kid...sorta). But then these days as I pack away yet another outfit that Moo has outgrown, I wish I had a pause button somewhere. I want to be able to just sit and enjoy the now more, cuddle my kids more when they're not squirming to get away. I see Moo's huge, glossy eyes follow me as I move about the room and think, gawd, I know it won't always be like this, but is there a way to bottle this feeling for later so I won't have to just rely on increasingly fuzzy memories.

No comments: