Monday, June 15, 2009

Pig - 19 months

Pig's brain is fairly pulsating with development these days. Every day brings with it a new skill or discovery. Because I intend this blog to be a baby book for my kids, here's a stream of consciousness list of all things Pig:

She is saying please and thank you when we hand her things. Her favorite words these days are juice, mool (Korean for water), ooh-yoo (Korean for milk), shoes, mine, me, no, baby, daddy, mommy, all done, Kirby and COOKIE (as in the Monster). She is stringing words together. Today she grabbed one of my slipper and announced, "No! Me Slipper!" Spoon and spork feeding is pretty much old hat for her...though oatmeal eating does get a little crazy still. She runs around nicely now...granted we're not talking about graceful sprinting, it's more like what Kirb does when he first busts out of his crate...limbs flailing, mouth open in glee, feet pounding.

I could watch her play for hours. It's like getting a glimpse of the world through her eyes. When she's playing with the toy kitchen set, she imitates what she sees us do when we prepare her meals. I saw her pretend to twist a lid off a plastic bottle and then shake the imaginary contents onto a tiny plastic plate. She loves shoes and loves to match the shoe to the owner. She knows that I wear one surgical shoe and one regular shoe so when we head out she makes sure to hand these to me. She wants to help so when Moo cries she rushes to his side and attempts to put the paci back in his mouth or pat his back and loves to hug and kiss him. She loves to sing and dance especially to anything from Barney or the Backyardigans theme song.

She's an excellent sleeper, an absolute champ, we're talking 12 hours at least at night and 2-3 hour nap during the day. She'll fuss and cry if she doesn't get her away but its a short episode and her daddy can always get her to laugh soon afterward. When she plays, she plays hard and gets dirty. She loves headbands and will snatch the one I have off my head if I'm not careful, in fact she has has broken all of mine. Computers fascinate her and she loves nothing more than to bang away at the keyboard like a mini Jerry Lee Lewis. She loves our little dustbuster vacuum cleaner and laughs as she drags it around the floor. Mommy, knowing a good thing when she sees it, follows behind and points her at the wisps of grass and dog fur. Today she cracked me up when she walked straight up to Kirby's water dish and announced "Kuh-bee!"

They say a child's brain triples in size by the time they hit their second birthday. The possibilities fascinate and terrify me. I feel this huge responsibility to ensure that this thirsty sponge of a brain gets enough to keep it pulsing with activity.

No comments: